Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Monday 21 January 2013

Diagonal Box Stitch Afghan: Blueberry Cheesecake

After the most horrid heatwave it finally rained (a lot!!) in Johannesburg - it was quite wonderful!   We decided to have a completely lazy weekend and do absolutely nothing (well absolutely nothing for me usually means finding something to keep my hands busy anyway!!)

My latest crochet obsession is the Diagonal Box Stitch.  I've been stewing on an idea for an afghan for a while and the rainy weather provided the perfect opportunity for me to get started (and finished) with this project.     Chose a bunch of blues whites and purples for my project (sort of reminded me of the Blueberry Cheesecake Swirl Ice Cream I just cannot get enough of!!)

I made four identical squares using the Diagonal Box Stitch and sewed them together for the center.   Then worked around them in single crochet.     Added an outer row of identical granny squares and finished with a border of single crochet, double crochet and then single crochet again.     Quite pleased with the result:


c2c crochet blanket

Nerve finally decided to "un-pinch" so I can actually sit comfortably again.    Time to get some papercrafting in!      Received an e-mail in December from Papercraft Essentials - they would feature an e-mail I had sent them (Christmas Cards made from a freebie in one of their previous issues)  on the letters page of Issue 89.    Received a lovely little gift in the mail from them.     So I have some inspiration to get me going ......   watch this space

14 comments:

  1. What a beauuutiful creation! Well done -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! this one is so beautiful !! love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this SO much, using your guidelines I made one of my own, would love to share it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Joy! Your blanket is wonderful - I have shared it on my Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/ZootyOwl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you follow a pattern? What yarn and how much did you use? This is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did not use a pattern - just made it up as I went! Used my go-to yarn, Elle Pullskein DK - it comes in such fabulous colours. I do intend making another one - this time I will write the pattern down (and take note how much yarn I use!!)

      Delete
  6. oh that's really lovely ... one for the future methinks xx thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful!!! Would love the pattern :)
    ~Tess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tess! I have not gotten around to writing a pattern for this yet - It is on my to-do list!

      Delete
  8. Still awaiting the instructions for this gorgeous pattern. You have an amazing gift Zelna.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have an amazing gift Zelna. Still waiting for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete