Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Tuesday 3 September 2013

Emergency Baking


Today was another one of those CRAZY busy days.    Hubby has been on the phone with clients all morning and I have been packing cards.      By the time I realised I was starving and was about to make us breakfast it was almost lunchtime!    I felt like something freshly baked and savoury.    I usually make my sweetcorn bread from scratch - but being a bit pressed for time today I took a shortcut (all the while holding thumbs that it would actually turn out ok!!)

I keep a packet or two of these premixes in the cupboard for emergencies (almost starved + lazy + in a huge hurry = EMERGENCY):


I added  oil and eggs as per the packet instructions, a 410g tin of sweetcorn and about 150ml water.  Shared in half between two greased loaf pans.    Baked at 180C for about 45 minutes:


They turned out quite well.     Had to take a quick pic because Hubby had arrived to investigate the aroma!    Grated some cheese, put out some butter and apricot jam, made two quick cups (coffee for Hubby - tea for me) and LUNCH!


Slices are a bit hacked - the bread was still steaming hot - but, as I said, we were starving!     OOOH yummmeee!    It was delish!

Spending the afternoon working in ends and trying to figure out why I suddenly cannot connect to the internet on my laptop??

Hopefully I will still have some time to work on my Christmas Stocking pattern.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Zelna
    Thanks for your comment on my blog, your hexagon wrap is gorgeous, love all those colours together. I should think you have entered Spring in Joburg and the days are getting longer and warmer? Fortunately we are having a little bit of an extended Summer, so it's still summer dresses and sandals for me :o)
    Dilly, our bunny was adopted from a friend's daughter who could no longer have her at her University digs, she is a lionhead dwarf, I am not too hot on different breeds of rabbits, sorry. She is very friendly and loves to be stroked and have bunny "massages" as my daughter calls them. We are quite fortunate that she is friendly. I have heard that they can become quite aggressive if they are females and have not been spayed? Not too sure about all the facts.
    I now have food envy having seen your sweetcorn loaf, also makes me feel homesick seeing lovely SA products xox Have a great rest of the week, Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is already lovely and warm here during the day. Bit of a nip in the mornings and at night - but not really cold! My brother's bunny is a male - not sure if he has had him fixed? That could be the problem. I baked another batch of "emergency" food this morning - apple / cinnamon muffins (also using one of these lovely pre-mixes with a bit of this and that thrown in! - will blog about it later). Thanks for stopping by Penny - hope to see you again!

      Delete
  2. Hi Zelna
    Thanks for your lovely comment over at mine - so happy to have found your lovely blog as a result. Your work is beautiful, lovely colours and you've been so generous with all the patterns! I shall definitely be stopping by more often - and of course you're welcome at The House of Jones any time :)

    Jones x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya Zelna - I am making one of your road trip scarves and was just wondering if you blocked them? Many thanks
    Ros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't find that acrylic needs blocking. Some cottons or natural fibre blends are inclined to curl a bit - in which case I will give them a light pffft of steam with the iron (from about 15cm away)

      Delete