Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Friday 14 February 2014

Diagonal Double Crochet / C2C Double Crochet

Being a bit of a neat-o-holic, scraps are a bane on my existence. I find myself emotionally and mentally unable to hoard them until I have enough to make something spectacular! The "crafter" in me is also unable to throw them away. So yesterday afternoon's scrap tackling was a "magic-knot everything together and make a Diagonal Double Crochet / C2C Double Crochet" effort (a blankie for my daughter's new kitty).

diagonal double crochet

I could not find a pattern for this so I just made up my own and I am happy to share it with you!! 

Diagonal Double Crochet / C2C Double Crochet Square

5ch to Start (first corner)
1 dc, 1ch, 1dc into 5th ch from hook, turn

The start and the side increases

Increase Row
4ch, 2dc into 1ch sp at beginning of row
1 dc into top of each dc of previous row - repeat to 1ch sp at end of row; 1dc, 1ch, 1dc into that 1ch sp at end of row

This row now gets repeated until the blanket is as long and wide as you would like it (measured across the sides - not the diagonal)

Decrease Row
3ch, 1dc into 3rd dc from hook (second corner formed), 1dc into each dc across row;   skip last 2dc;  1dc into sp at beginning of previous row (third corner formed)

Repeat this row until only 3dc left.

Final Row
4ch, 1dc into sp at end of row.
Fasten off.

Side Decreased and Final  Row

Now add your favourite border and embellish as you choose - delight in the fact that you have so few ends to sew in!!

1 comment: