Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Wednesday 2 September 2015

Baby Blanket from Mom's Squares

While working through Mom's Yarn Stash I found lots of little"treasures" - some motifs that my great gran and I had made, a few very old crochet hooks and some squares mom had knitted and crocheted.


I felt really sentimental about these squares as they were among the last things mom made before she became frail.

My baby brother (who is 31) has not yet married, so I thought I would make up mom's squares into a baby blanket - a keepsake for him (hopefully for a little niece or nephew one day!).


The knitted squares were mostly pink so I tried to balance the blanket out with a good helping of blue and some yellow - so that it can be used for either a boy or a girl.

 
I wanted to preserve what Mom had made without making the blanket too "me"!  I kept it very simple,  just adding a join-as-you-go row to the crochet squares to make four bigger crochet blocks, crocheting around the knitted blocks and then adding enough rows to make the blocks the same size. 



Each block was joined-as-I-went with a row of Denim Blue.     The border is a few granny rows, edged with a simple half shell!


I have a busy week planned - taking photos of all my makes and adding a few new patterns to my RAVELRY PAGE

Off to have a nice cup of tea and bake a BANANA TEA LOAF before I get sidetracked by my crochet.........

7 comments:

  1. What a lovely keepsake you have made!! Love the layout too!! Beautiful heirloom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful!
    Happy day
    Crissi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww this is so wonderful such a great idea, and it has made such a pretty blanket, a true heirloom.
    Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blanket is really beautiful and such a good idea to make this for your brother. It will be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! A great idea and so sweet.

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete