Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Tuesday 5 July 2016

Seaside Winter Blanket CAL: Supermarket Yarn Shopping

Quite a few CAL-ers have been lamenting the fact that they do not have a decent yarn supplier in their vicinity.   Here in South Africa the "Checkers" stores stock their own brand of yarn, called "Chick".   This 100% Acrylic yarn is made by Saprotex and packaged under that name especially for Checkers. Although the range only contains basic colours there is still more than enough to choose from!


This photo was taken at Checkers, South Coast Mall and as you can see the shelves are pretty well stocked.  

I set myself a little challenge....... to make a blanket using only this supermarket yarn.

The newer stock has a little sticker on the label denoting the colour, but the older stock only has a "lot" and colour "code" - so I had to do a bit of guessing when it came to the names of the colours.

I chose a blueish colourway of Royal (Blue), Light Grey, White, Saxe Blue, Cloud Blue and Jade



This yarn has been around for ages.   I used to knit (no that is not a typo I actually used to knit as much as I crocheted) my kiddos jerseys with this yarn when they were little.   It works up very nicely and although a bit on the stiff side,  once washed correctly it is lovely and soft and wears very well.


I am not at all disappointed with the result.



The "Chick" works out to just under R22.00 for 100g which is great value for money.  

Don't be afraid to try out "supermarket" yarns.    The patterns I have created for this CAL work just as nicely with supermarket or budget acrylic yarns as they do with the more expensive yarns.

Join me again on Friday for the next instalment of the Seaside Winter Blanket CAL:   Margate Square 5!

4 comments:

  1. This is very beautiful. I love the colours and the patterns. You are very creative. I would like to make this.....keep up the wonderful work! I enjoy your blog. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Squares are gorgeous in these colours! I use a budget cotton yarn for my Squares, the Drops Love You 7 and I love the feel of it. Soft and snuggly once washed. It's a recycled cotton so it's enviromental friendly too. Who says it has to be expensive to make a wearable and nice blanket... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply gorgeous! I'm in love with all shades of blue and so this is my favorite followed by the watermelon colorway. Well done!

    ReplyDelete