Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Sunday 10 November 2013

Rainbow Candy Diagonal Granny Stripe

I had been planning to make my niece a "groovyghan" for Christmas.    Luckily I remembered that eleven year olds are VERY particular little people, and decided that I should rather discuss the project with her before plunging in.

A good thing too!

She wanted stripes - no blocks.   Very particular stripes in fact - "they must not be fat, also not dizzy stripes" (thin stripes).   No frills or flowers.  I had also planned to make it for her bed - she wanted a square blanket to snuggle under while watching DVD's.  Alrighty then! - as I said - good thing I asked!

We added a couple of colours to those I had already selected and I got started on the project HERE early in October. 


granny stripe

I used the Diagonal Granny Stripe - a firm favourite of mine.    You can find a how to in my Diagonal Granny Stripe Infinity Scarf post

This Diagonal Granny Stripe had to be square - this means to you keep on increasing on both sides until the outer edges of the triangle measure the length and width you wish your finished project to be.   Then decrease on both sides until your last cluster.


granny stripe

I used candy pink, fuschia, peach, red, lemon, lime, mint, jade, aqua, turquoise, blue, denim, lilac and purple for my colour stripes:



granny stripe

On the increase half I used white to separate the colour bands.   A few rows before I started decreasing I introduced grey between the colour bands.     


granny stripe

Once I started decreasing I began using grey as the separator colour and phased out the white over the first few rows.  

For the border I did a double row of shells:


granny stripe

I crocheted a two tone border - white on the white diagonal (2 sides) and grey on the grey diagonal (2 sides):


granny stripe

We had fantastic weather on Friday.     Hot as ...., but beautiful clear blue skies.    Perfect weather for a  bit of photo fun.  

Bundled the blankie onto one of our shaded walkways:


granny stripe

 Posed it on the stairs leading up to my rose garden:


granny stripe

Rolled up under the Lapa's thatch:


granny stripe

Hanging it from the beams:


granny stripe

Folding it in different ways:


granny stripe

Posing it here and there:


granny stripe

By then I was rather hot and bothered.    Took a lovely swim and poured myself some homemade ginger beer with lots of ice and lemon slices.   Sat myself down poolside to contemplate my Christmas List (one down - way to many to go!!)

Didn't get much done yesterday - "meltingly" hot again = hanging out with hubby and my youngest (who turned 21 recently!!!) - swimming, sipping iced tea and ginger beer, nibbling on finger food, and watching movies in the lovely cool family room (until four in the morning!).     Such a relaxing, perfect day!

Going to make brunch in a few minutes and after that I suppose I should go back to contemplating that Christmas List!

5 comments:

  1. A wonderful blanket with nice colors. I never saw granny stripes diagonal before. A good idea. Have a nice weekend.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea and lovely colors. Visiting from Annemarie's blog.
    sheila
    http://sheilazachariae.blogspot.com/2014/01/diy-shawl-pin-with-buttons.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely gorgeous and my 18 year old daughter has asked for one as her graduation gift...if I may ask, how would I go about making this into a full size afghan fire her bed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What weight is the yarn you used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a DK (8ply / light worsted weight) 100% Acrylic for this one. I have made others with Aran (10ply / worsted weight) and Chunky (12 ply / rug) which have turned out really well too!

      Delete