Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Friday 2 May 2014

Starflower Mandala: Row by Row

Two or so weeks back I posted my STARFLOWER MANDALA PATTERN


crochet mandala

The original plan was to provide photos of each row  - but there was such a high demand for the pattern (long weekend = lots of crochet time) - so I decided to go ahead and publish with just the few photos of the first four rows!

Hundreds (maybe thousands?) of people have by now made the Starflower Mandala (the pattern has been viewed some 65 000 times! - and counting!)

YAY!   So exciting to see all the colourful versions of my pattern showing up everywhere!

I thought I would do a row by row breakdown of the pattern anyway - "pattern-speak" can make the mind boggle a bit and a picture always makes it a bit easier to fathom!

My patterns are all written in US TERMS, which could prove a bit confusing if you are used to UK Terms!   I  made this little conversion chart, which I will include in all my patterns from now on, for ease of reference.



My original STARFLOWER MANDALAS were crocheted with Stylecraft Special DK and a 3.50mm hook, giving a finished Mandala of 33 cm in diameter.

crochet mandala

The Starflower Mandala in this post was made with Raeesah Cotton Soft DK and a 4.00mm hook, giving me a finished Mandala of 45cm in diameter.

crochet mandala

Yarn weights are referred to quite differently in various regions, so I thought I would also include this rather useful RAVELRY LINK for Standard Yarn Weights.

Crochet Hook Sizes are also referred to differently - if you need to know which hook to use go and have a look HERE

The photos were taken at various times over the course of a few days -  so there is a bit of variation in the colouring.   

The Starflower Mandala pattern can be found HERE!


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala


crochet mandala

The photo above is a little bit out of focus (I was precariously perched on a wall when taking this photo!)

crochet mandala

crochet mandala

37 comments:

  1. These are stunning! Given me an idea I am mulling over.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited about your pattern! I can't wait to make one for me! Your colors are fantastic too! Hugz Lisa and Bear (my German Shepherd)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto on the beautiful! You're a true artist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely I keep seeing different manadala of your wonderful pattern all over blogland, you've created something truly magical
    Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your pattern. Can I translate it into Danish? Hey. Eva

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for detailed tutorials, it's really an inspiring pattern. I wonder could some rows be omitted to make a bit smaller version? as I don't own that many colours... Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lily! The first few rows are crucial to the pattern - but I think you could probably get away with leaving off the last 6 rows (your mandala will have a "wavy" edge). You could maybe add a simple picot edge to the last row which will be row 12 - if you omit the last 6. I have seen it made alternating only 3 - 4 colours very nice result - so maybe you could give it a go with the colours you have. Please post a photo on my Zooty Owl Facebook page when you have made it!!

      Delete
    2. How would I go about making it even bigger? I'm thinking blanket size! I'm already using a bigger hook and thicker yarn, but how would I work out more rows so it stays flat? x

      Delete
    3. Hi Zelna :) thank you for your time.
      Yes, defining which rounds are crucial is the key to 'reducing' the size... I thought making the flower smaller, without r8 and maybe even r7... and then naturally work a smaller version,but it takes practice and experimenting... plus,I have to learn the art of combining colours effectively...
      Meanwhile I've crocheted 2 of your smaller mandalas, although reduced in size... again, because of fear of combining 'wrong' colours and because somehow after 4-5 rows my circle gets all uneven and "ruffled" (like there r too many stitches) and well, needs blocking apparently... or maybe I crochet too tightly :/ oh well,
      I will find you on fb and post photos as soon as I can :) thank you!

      Delete
  7. These are beautiful. Do you know if these yarns are available in the US, or do you know of comparable yarns that are available in the US? I love the colors! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There are quite a lot of different cotton DK's available online - from what I have heard though Stylecraft Classique Cotton is the best! Deramores in the UK delivers internationally and their service is outstanding!

      Delete
  8. Very-very beautiful! One of the most beautiful I've seen looking around to start with the trend. And under your photo tutorial it doesn't seem very difficult :) I'm afraid I'll become a Mandala-mad... They are so appealing. Thank you very much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello :) I'm currently making a version using textile yarn and it's working up amazing! I've already made a cotton one (in DK with a normal sized hook) and am really enjoying making this . Thanks for the pattern - I've made 4 of your mandalas now and plan on many, many more as I have a few projects for around my house. Thanks again for sharing your free pattern. Such clear instructions on photos and written, too .

    ReplyDelete
  10. The row by row picture tutorial is a great help. Thank you for sharing the pattern of this stunning mandala and the lovely colours you use!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am following various mandala projects for a while and Ilove them....But yours are fantastic....I am starting crocheting one today following your steps.....Thanks alot for the pattern.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just gorgeous! Thank you for the photo tutorial. That really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this pattern, and the colour choices are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This will be my first mandala! Thank you for all the hard, painstaking photos and instructions! I think I can do it now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing. It inspired me to create a snow flake afghan.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing this BEAUTIFUL pattern!!! It was pretty easy to follow. Especially when you can refer the pictures of each stitch!!! WONDERFUL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! It's rare to come across someone so generous with their talent and work. Thank you so much for offering the pattern and step-by-step for this mandala. Truly grateful and awed by your generosity!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so beautiful! Hope I'm brave enough to try it. Thank you for sharing. I have saved it for later and am so happy. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm making my first mandala which is your pattern. Thank you so much. I have 3 round wicker baskets that were used as trays and have not known what to do with them. I don't like the ones I've seen that are painted with geometric shapes. I think a mandala will look perfect in them. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bellisimo! Muy agradecida por la explicación paso a paso

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello! very beautiful your work. As the pattern could continue to transform it into a square? I would like to make a pillowcase of 55 x55 cm. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just wanted to tell you that you do phenominal work, so beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is very nice and beautiful . I found this pattern through google. I am making it to put on my table.Thanks for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good job!! Thanks for sharing with everyone. See more beautiful round mandala designs http://www.fairdecor.com/-round-tassel-mandala

    ReplyDelete
  25. great photos - I always have trouble w/patterns but this is fabulous. Bless your generosity in sharing your work!QuackyK

    ReplyDelete
  26. thanks you a lot for this pattern, a so beautiful mandala!
    from une orange au coin du feu (France)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am truly a fan of your talent and your patterns. They are all just beautiful and I can't wait to get started on my own. Thank you so much for sharing your work and your patterns with us. Paula McCauley

    ReplyDelete
  28. thank you fo sharing your talent








    ReplyDelete
  29. thank you for sharing your talent

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous! I will go to yarn shop & buy more yarn to do these beautiful doilies. Thank you , much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete