Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Tuesday 11 August 2015

Comfort Blanket for Dad

I cannot believe my mom has been gone for just over a month - it still feels so unreal!



I have been working through MOM'S YARN STASH - what a wonderful gift from the "afterlife" as it were.      A beautiful way for me to meditate, grieve, reflect and remember my precious Mommy!

When I received the stash I decided that I would not "hoard" it but would immediately set about making meaningful things from it!

So far I have made a few baby blankets, a "MAGIC" COMFORT BLANKET for my brother, for each of the girls I have made a super chunky ROAD TRIP SCARF!, and this HUGE comfort blanket for my Dad. 

crochet stripes


We are scattering Mom's ashes on Saturday and I wanted to have these comfort gifts finished by then (I nearly crocheted my fingers off!)

stripe blanket


Yarn:  Acrylics, Courtelles, Acrylic / Wool Blends

crochet blanket

Yarn Weight:  16ply (Super Chunky) - obtained by winding strands of odd weights together to get 16ply (eg 2ply + 2ply + 4ply + 8ply = 16ply)

crochet blanket

Hook Size:   8.00mm

crochet blanket

Colours:   Blues, Turquoises, Greens, and a few odd colours in between

stripe blanket

Foundation Chain:   180 plus 2 (this gives you 180dc)

double crochet stripes


Number of Rows:   102 rows of Double Crochet

stripe crochet blanket

Border:   1 round hdc,   1 round dc.

stripe blanket

Edging:   A simple half shell made as follows (2ch, 2dc, skip 2 spaces, sl st into next space) repeat all around the blanket ending with a sl st into the base of the start 2ch.

The blanket will fit very comfortably on a double bed.  

It's soft and thick and warm and was made with loads of love with good memories of my mom in every stitch!

10 comments:

  1. It's super beautiful, in both intent and result. I hope it gives out as much love, as has been hooked into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. … such a lovely blanket : I really love stripes and the colours you chose are great together!
    I'm so sorry about your loss, xxxx and a big hug Ale

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry about your Mom, but the love that you put into the pieces you made for your loved ones will come through and comfort them and a part of your Mom's heart and yours will forever be stitched together...my deepest sympathies...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a gorgeous reminder and will be such a comfort for your dad. I understand and began to crochet after my mother's passing. Completing some of her unfinished works was so special to me and I cherish them. Prayers for you and your family.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful. And the thoughts of love crocheted in with the yarn from your mother make it and the other items more precious. I am sorry for your loss, but this is a wonderful way to celebrate her memory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful gifts for the members of your family and what a beautiful tribute to your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great that you used your mum's yarn stash to provide beautiful, thoughtful gifts for others. I still use knitting needles and patterns - even still have some yarn - that belonged to my mum. She died over 25 years ago which is really hard to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful way to remember your mom. 💗 These beautiful crochet "snuggly" comfort items you've crafted for your family with your mom's yarn stash will be treasured by them! Bless your heart. I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your mom. I can only imagine how hard it must be. I'm seeing my own mother being significantly affected by health issues for the first time in her 74 years, and it is very frightening to see this change in her, as she has always been a powerhouse that I couldnt keep up with. I have been keenly aware of the reality that my mom has suddenly become fragile. And old. At the rather young age (these days) of 74. Again, I truly am so sorry for your huge loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So lovely as are your memories and the ones that will be shared with this blanket. The color scheme is beautiful . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is wonderful and more so when you think of the memories and love you have woven into this yarn as you crocheted. fabulous gift!!

    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete