Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Monday 20 January 2014

Crochet Mood Blanket: Update and New WIP's

The first row of my Crochet Mood Blanket is done - 19 lovely little moody squares for the first nineteen days of 2014!    Linking at HAZEL'S CROCHET  - so hop on over to her Blog and add your progress!


crochet mood blanket 2014

We have been experiencing a heatwave here in Johannesburg (another one!  SIGH!)     It has been so hot that my CPU (brain) has started to melt!

I sit by the pool all day with a huge jug of  iced tea and, being completely incapable of just sitting, found some crochet to keep my hands busy!

First it was a little heap of teeny tiny scraps lying in my basket which I hooked into an odd collection of  motifs.

An idea popped into my head for a sunflower hexagon bag -  I have seen a lot of hexagon bags (my favourite one by the amaaazingly talented  FIONA) but have not found one with a pattern - I would have to wing it!  There would be quite a lot of  frogging involved in the making of the first bag and  I did not want to mess up my delightful little sunflower hexagons.


crochet hexagons
Sunflower Hexagons

Not feeling in the least bit sorry for the scrappy motifs they were quickly turned into hexagons by crocheting around them with what my son says is an "irredeemably ugly" colour and joining them as I went - until my little bag took shape.    The handles were a nightmare -  the strongest handle made the bag look a bit like a bulletproof vest (not really a good look for a bag).    Eventually after about 6 tryouts and feeling really hot and bothered I just made these and decided to be done with it.


hexagon crochet bag

The Sunflower bag is on hold for now until a better solution for the handles comes to mind!

After that frustration,  I was not in the least bit inclined to attempt to finish my other WIP's and so indulged in a bit of mindless crochet .....


crochet bags

making a rainbow of hexagons, squares and circles
 
crochet motifs
Rainbow Crochet Motifs

And a pile of granny squares which are destined to become a beach house throw


granny squares

Quite a productive week in spite of the heat!!

10 comments:

  1. Wow you are so busy, so many things on the go and all lovely, I think your bag is great and your mood blanket is coming on a treat. I don't know how you manage to crochet when it's so hot! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda - teeny tiny projects in the heat - there is no way I could work on something big!

      Delete
  2. Your mood blanket row is looking great, you are really good with colours!

    And oh wow you have so many things on the go, although your rainbow of hexies, circles and squares looks totally delightful...I am sure Chrissie and Co will admire them lots when you share on the Bloomin' CAL link party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hazel! Popping over to your blog to Link. Thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  3. Wow that's a lot of colour and crochet! Your Mood Blanket's coming on well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Did pop on over to your Blog - I have trouble commenting on the Wordpress sights though - will figure it out eventually!!

      Delete
  4. Wow, you are a busy hooker! Lovely projects on the go .... but oh so uncomfortable to crochet in the heat!
    I keep a small Johnson's Baby Talc on hand, it helps somewhat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Please, Please would love to get your Sunflower Hexi pattern. You have so many BEAUTIFUL projects going; Thank you for sharing all of your Lovely crochet. momwebber@wtciweb.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I will do the sunflower pattern as soon as I can get my head around fitting the handles on the bag - I am still drawing a blank!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Zelena, that will be Great, Thank you so much dear. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete