Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Sunday 15 March 2015

Wade's Blanket CAL: Introduction

Wade's Blanket CAL, hosted by Zooty Owl and Kokopelli Design. I am delighted to present my third blanket CAL (crochet-a-long)to you. The multi-talented Andrea of Kokopelli Design will be hosting this CAL with me!!

Here are some details to get you started:

Why are we calling it "Wade's Blanket CAL"?

Wade is a very brave little boy who is undergoing chemo at the moment.   While we were planning the CAL I told Andrea that I want to make Wade a blanket for comfort.   So we decided to name this blanket "Wade's Blanket".

The CAL will be over 16 weeks and we will post a pattern and a photo tutorial on both blogs every two weeks on Friday, starting March 20th.

There will be four square patterns, three stripe patterns, and a border. By the end of the CAL you will have a beautiful blanket in the size you want (depending on how many squares you make and how wide you make the stripes).

I made this one a while back using oddments of colour left over from other projects:

crochet blanket

The patterns are written for DK (8ply / light worsted) weight yarns and a 5.00mm hook.  You can make the blanket from an assortment of different colours, or you can choose a specific colour palette - whatever you like!!

I will be using Elle Pullskein DK (100% Acrylic yarn) from our South African Mill, Saprotex and have chosen colours which are available in most acrylic yarns - Denim Blue, Blue, Turquoise, Lime, Bright Green, Lemon and White.

colour inspiration

Andrea has chosen Stylecraft Special DK in a "Peacock" palette:

If you need a few ideas to help you choose your palette BE INSPIRED BY COLOUR!
Andrea and I look forward to having very many of you join us for this CAL on 20 March 2015

15 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the CAL! Now to pick out yarn and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to CAL with you. How do I make sure I don't miss a post/blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can join my blog at the top of the page where it says "followers"; or follow me on Google Plus: "Like" my Zooty Owl Facebook Page - I post all the links there too! I am looking into an e-mail notification system - hope to make progress there soon!

      Delete
  3. So looking forward! Hope we get lots of participants. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! I have a 5-year old grandson in need of a blanket too! This looks like a good one! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many yarn is needed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to participate with you, but I don't know what is necessary to do.
    Can you help me, please?
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can join my blog at the top of the page where it says "followers"; or follow me on Google Plus: "Like" my Zooty Owl Facebook Page - I post all the links there too! I am looking into an e-mail notification system - hope to make progress there soon!

      Delete
  7. How much yarn will we need?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This depends on the size of the blanket you would like to make. The one pictured in the photo is 110cm x 110cm - I used just over 600g (1800m) of yarn. A 150cm x 150cm would probably take 800g - 900g. What size are you thinking of making?

      Delete
    2. Thinking of a bigger one, thanks Sandra

      Delete
  8. Oh how exciting! Wouldn't miss this for anything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely CAL! I will be using pastel colours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello. Its over a year later! Was wondering where I could get the pattern from?

    Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The CAL finished last year but the patterns are still on my blog. Here is the link to the first one http://zootyowlcards.blogspot.co.za/2015/03/circle-in-square-granny-wades-blanket.html

      Delete