Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Monday 13 May 2013

Afghan Makeovers: Part 1

A bit embarrassed to see how long it is since I last posted.

This is not so much due to having nothing to post as it is to having been too busy.     Crazy year - I can't believe we are already a third of the way through May.

It is supposed to be late Autumn here and we have had a few coldish days - but it is mostly still lovely and sunny!

Doing a bit of Autumn cleaning  I came across two really ugly (even too ugly to donate) scrap afghans I made a few years back.  My elder daughter threw two of her "not too fantastic" projects into the mix and  I unpicked them, saving as much of the yarn as I could.    I also saved a lot of the squares from my daughter's one afghan and some of the prettier squares from one of my afghans.

Remade my squares into an afghan for my youngest's three quarter bed by crocheting around the rescued squares with two shades of grey from my stash.


Granny squares
Large Granny Squares



Joining Granny Squares
Squares crocheted together on wrong side with black yarn


Joining Granny  Squares
Right side view of the join

This is the easiest way of joining squares - only problem is you are left with an obvious right and wrong side.


Blanket Stitch Border
Granny Border


Blanket Stitch Border
"Blanket Stitch" Edging

I finished with a couple of rows of granny clusters using a slightly smaller hook and edged it in black with a simple "blanket stitch".

While I was unpicking I was doing some blog hopping - found a lovely little daisy centre for a granny square on another blog and voila - inspiration for the rest of the recycled yarn!   Can't wait to get started.........

2 comments:

  1. Zelna this join is so beautifully neat. I'm not ready to try it just yet, need to finish my squares first and waiting on a wool order but when I'm ready to join my squares I'll be trying your method :-) regards Bridget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bridget - I think I am going to do a proper tutorial on this join as so many people have asked about this! Enjoy making your squares!

      Delete